- Adobe Acrobat - Lets you deliver highly professional PDF communications. Create and edit PDF files with rich media included, share information more securely, and gather team feedback more efficiently. Online tutorials can be found here.
- Adobe Dreamweaver - Web authoring and editing software that provides both visual and code-level capabilities for creating standards-based websites and designs for the desktop, smartphones, tablets, and other devices. Online tutorials can be found here.
- Adobe Flash - An authoring environment for producing expressive interactive content. Create immersive experiences that present consistently to audiences across desktops, smartphones, tablets, and televisions. Online tutorials can be found here.
- Adobe Illustrator - Helps you create distinctive vector artwork for any project. Take advantage of the precision and power of sophisticated drawing tools, expressive natural brushes, and a host of time-savers. Online tutorials can be found here.
- Adobe InDesign - Design engaging page layouts for print or digital distribution with built-in creative tools and precise control over typography. Integrate interactivity, video, and audio for playback on tablets, smartphones, and computers. Check out more on Adobe InDesign.
- Adobe Photoshop - Digital picture and photo editing software. Check out more on Photoshop.
- Adobe Reader
- Audacity - Free audio recording and editing software. Check out more on Audacity.
- Avid - Video editing software used in RTVF department for the Mac or the PC. Check out more on Avid.
- Garageband - Audio editing software for the Mac. Check out more on Garageband.
- iMovie - Video editing software for the Mac. Check out more on iMovie.
- Windows MovieMaker - Video editing software for the PC. Check out more on Windows MovieMaker.
- CRSPSift - Software that includes utilities that may be used to extract CRSP stock and index data from the CRSP proprietary databases. Online tutorials can be found here.
- Palisade DecisionTools - The DecisionTools Suite is an integrated set of programs for risk analysis and decision making under uncertainty that runs in Microsoft Excel. The DecisionTools Suite includes @RISK for Monte Carlo simulation, PrecisionTree for decision trees, and TopRank for “what if” sensitivity analysis. In addition, the DecisionTools Suite comes with StatTools for statistical analysis and forecasting, NeuralTools for predictive neural networks, and Evolver and RISKOptimizer for optimization. Online tutorials can be found here.
- Research Insight - A powerful analytical engine built upon the foundation of the Compustat database. Research Insight provides a wealth of financial data and insightful reports, performance graphs and textual documents, giving you the perspective you need to determine a company's true value. Online tutorials can be found here.
- Inspiration - Graphic organizer that can be used with or without students. Online tutorials can be found here.
- Kidspiration - Graphic organizer for grades K-5 that can be used with or without students. Online tutorials can be found here.
- SMART Technologies - Software for the SMART Board, an interactive whiteboard. For more information on how to download, contact SCS Learning Support. Check out more on the SMART Board.
Geography/Global Studies Software
- ArcGIS - A favorite of some upper level Geography and Global Studies classes, ArcGIS is the program to learn if you want to study anything related to mapping and historical geography. Not only can you add elements to a map, you can create temporal animations to see how the area has changed over time. Online tutorials can be found here.
- Maple - A computer algebra system that can check your work and create 3D graphs. Online tutorials can be found here.
- Mathmatica - Visualize or manipulate a graph or a mathematical equation on a 3D plane. Online tutorials can be found here.
- WinPlot - Free general-purpose plotting utility, which can draw (and animate) curves and surfaces presented in a variety of formats. Online tutorials can be found here and here.
- Wolfram CDF Player - Free software for PCs that allows you to interact with applications from the Wolfram Demonstrations Project, explore interactive documents in your web browser, and view Mathematica examples, reports, and files.
Microsoft DreamSpark(Formally MSDNAA)
Microsoft DreamSpark (formally Microsoft Developer Network Academic Alliance (MSDNAA)) is available for students majoring in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology & Quantitative Methods, and Management. With it, you can download and access a wide range of Microsoft developer tools, servers, and platforms for free. At the beginning of the semester, you will receive an email with Directions on how to register. For more information about Microsoft DreamSpark, click here.
Looking for information about how to use software available through Dreamspark? Click here!
If you have any questions or issues, you can contact SCS Learning Support.
Photography and Image Editing Software
- Adobe Photoshop - Digital picture and photo editing software. Check out more on Photoshop.
- GIMP - Free digital picture and photo editing software. Check out more on GIMP.
- iPhoto - Software that gives you three incredibly easy ways to organize and manage the thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of photos on your Mac. They’re called Faces, Places, and Events, and what they do for your photo library is practically magic. More information and online tutorials can be found here.
- Photo Booth - Software that takes snapshots of you and your friends in ways far from ordinary — from funny to artsy to really bizarre.
- Windows Photo Gallery - View, manage, and refine your photos and home movies. The toolbar and left-hand navigation pane make it a snap to find and organize your photos. Online tutorials can be found here.
- Top Three Things You Should Know About Google Docs!
- Edit your online documents from any computer!
- Collaborate in real time and chat with other collaborators!
- View your documents' revision history and roll back to any version!
Check out more on Google Docs
- Top Three Things You Should Know About Google Calendar!
- You can create multiple calendars (work schedules, study schedules, etc.)
- You can get your calendar on the go from any mobile device
- You will never forget to study for a test or hand in an assignment
Check out more on Google Calendar
Do you want to organize your email in Google as well? Use labels!
- Google Sites allows you to create a quick and easy web site. Check out more on Google Sites
Microsoft Office Check out Microsoft's web page and GCFLearnFree.org with resources on how to use the Microsoft Office products or, play Ribbon Hero to learn more about Microsoft Office. Click the links below for information on frequently asked questions about each application:
- Microsoft Office Access
- Microsoft Office Excel
- Microsoft Office OneNote
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint
- Microsoft Office Publisher
- Microsoft Office Word
Prezi A cloud-based, collaborative presentation tool with a zoomable canvas. Online tutorials can be found here.
- BioEdit - Free biological sequence alignment editor for the PC. Online tutorials can be found here.
- MATLAB - A computing and mathematical program that allows for matrix manipulations, function and data plotting, and algorithm implementation. Online tutorials can be found here.
- Spartan Student - A program that explores various types of chemistry by looking at the mechanics of molecules and chemical calculations. Online tutorials can be found here.
- Stellarium - A free planetarium for your computer, this software shows a realistic sky in 3D, just like what you see with the naked eye, binoculars or a telescope. Online tutorials can be found here.
Social Networking and Online Communication
- Twitter - A free microblogging/social networking tool. Post items that are 140 characters or less! Online tutorials can be found here.
- VoiceThread - As of the 2011-2012 school year, every student has a VoiceThread account. A favorite of distance learning classes, you can use VoiceThread to post videos, papers, or even art! Check out more on VoiceThread.
- WordPress - Create your own free blog with WordPress. Check out more on WordPress.
Statistical/Survey Software and Research
- EViews - Statistical, forecasting, and modeling tools with a simple object-oriented interface. Online tutorials can be found here.
- Lexicat - Specific to Hofstra University, LexiCat is “the catalog of the over one-and-a half million volumes held in the collections of the Hofstra University Libraries.” It gives exact bibliographic information and can be found on the Hofstra site.
- Minitab - Program used for statistics and analysis by IT/QM and Finance majors. Online tutorials can be found here.
- Qualtrics - Create, send and analyze surveys. Online tutorials can be found here.
- Revolution R - A free software environment for statistical computing and graphics. Tutorials can be found with the program on our lab computers.
- SPSS - Used for quantitative statistics and analysis. You can look at linear regression, cross tabulation, correlation, factor analysis, and much more. Check out more on SPSS.
- Fetch - FTP Client.
- Microsoft Silverlight
- SALT - Transcribe and analyze language samples. Online tutorials can be found here.
- TextEdit - A word processor included with Mac OS X. Online tutorials can be found here.
- Zotero - A free citation tool. Check out more on Zotero.
Back to Main Page